A large chandelier can be a dramatic and beautiful addition to any interior space
. Chandeliers offer the perfect marriage of function and design, and a large chandelier can help to complete a design scheme by filling a high ceiling or large room with a delightful design piece. Here are some useful tips to keep in mind when selecting the
Here are some useful tips
to keep in mind when selecting the best oversized chandelier for your space:
(1) Know your space. How big is the room in which you want to install the chandelier? How high are the ceilings? Are they flat or arched? In a room with a lower ceiling, you might want to avoid a chandelier with a long vertical drop. Similarly, in a large room with a vaulted ceiling, such as an entryway, you may wish to install a large and three-dimensional chandelier to take up some of the empty air space. Be sure to consider your intended use for the space as well. A large and low-hanging chandelier will affect the sight lines in a large open room, which can help divide a space or create an obstruction depending on how you wish people to occupy the area.
(2) Consider your design scheme. Is your space modern? Traditional? Your chandelier should fit the overall design
of the room in which it is installed. You may also wish to make your chandelier a "statement piece" to liven up an otherwise unremarkable space. Be sure to consider the shape of your chandelier with respect to the furniture and other decorations in the room. A spherical chandelier might offer a delightful contrast to the hard lines of a modern kitchen and a more compact, modern chandelier might be the right choice to maintain the professional look of your home office.
(3) Select the right materials. Chandeliers are made from all different types of materials: metal, glass, wood, fabric, crystal, and more. Make sure that the chandelier you select coordinates with the space in which it is being installed, including considering the chandelier against the other light fixtures in the room (e.g. wall sconces, etc.) If your space contains lots of hard surfaces, such as tile floors or wood paneling, you may consider a chandelier constructed of an organic material, such as fabric, to soften the room’s tone. Similarly, an ornate crystal chandelier may be the perfect finishing touch for your antique-filled dining room.
(4) Consider the number of bulbs
in your chandelier. The larger the number of bulbs, the brighter the chandelier, will shine, so think about where you want to install the chandelier and whether you want bright lighting or mood lighting. Also, check whether the bulbs utilized are specialty bulbs or standard, as specialty bulbs may be hard to find.
(5) Think about cleaning and maintenance. Since they are often installed in difficult to reach locations, it can be a pain to keep your chandelier clean. While ornate designs may be beautiful, they often act as dust magnets. The simpler the design, the easier it will be to clean.For example, if you plan to install your chandelier on a high ceiling, it may be beneficial to select a more contemporary design, rather than a traditional crystal chandelier that requires the cleaning of each crystal. Are there any special mounting requirements for oversized chandeliers?
When installing your new chandelier, you should be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions, including safety and caution instructions. Be aware that oversized chandeliers may involve additional steps during installation. Chandeliers are heavier than regular light fixtures, and an oversized chandelier will be even heavier, so be sure to take the time to determine whether any additional supports may be needed before installation
. Most oversized chandeliers will require the use of a fan brace, which is a hexagonal bar designed to fit between two ceiling joists. Accordingly, you should consider the location of your joists when deciding where to mount your chandelier to ensure you have the ability to install the fan brace. When properly installed, the brace will use tension to ensure that your oversized chandelier remains securely mounted. Consider using a professional electrician if you are not familiar with ceiling joists or light fixture installation. How would I select a large chandelier in commercial space such as a hotel lobby or a restaurant?
A large chandelier can be the perfect finishing touch for a commercial space, such as a hotel lobby or a restaurant. When selecting the perfect oversized chandelier for your commercial space, you should first consider the use of the space in question, as well as the types of people most likely to frequent the area. For example, a hotel lobby may require a brighter chandelier to allow people with luggage to navigate to their rooms. Similarly, a restaurant may choose a chandelier with adjustable levels of lighting to allow for mood lighting for diners and a brighter setting for post-service clean up. You should also select a chandelier that fits the design scheme of the space, as well as allowing for easy maintenance. Review the other tips outlined above for ideas on how to select the best chandelier for your needs. What brands would you recommend for large chandeliers?
For modern design lovers, we recommend choosing a chandelier from Catellani & Smith
, an Italian lighting company that specializes in chandeliers featuring glass and metal light fixtures. Catellani & Smith offers a range of striking chandeliers in shapes ranging from spherical to minimalist. If your style skews more to the industrial, consider purchasing a chandelier from Ingo Maurer's collection
. This German designer specializes in unique fixtures that range from deconstructed to whimsical. If you want a "statement" chandelier, a piece from Ingo Maurer's collection may be the right choice for you! Finally, for those who desire a clean, contemporary chandelier, we recommend purchasing a fixture from the Vistosi collection
. Vistosi specializes in understated, yet interesting chandeliers that will complement any decorating style. What are your top selling products when it comes to large chandeliers?
(1) The Fil De Fer Pendant Light by Catellani & Smith
is a spherical chandelier constructed from aluminum wire and lighted with small halogen bulbs. The simple yet interesting design provides a perfect option for the customer who desires a statement chandelier that will not overwhelm their space.
(2) Ingo Maurer's Oh Mei Ma LED Pendant Light
offers a multi-layered fabric chandelier that is reminiscent of a deconstructed hot air balloon. Descending from the ceiling in graceful levels, this chandelier gives an impression of softness, yet is entirely unforgettable.
(3) The Crown Major Chandelier by Markus Jehs and Jurgen Laub
is a spectacular modern candelabra that will impress your guests with its interconnected metal elements and cylindrical lights. The Crown Major occupies significant vertical and horizontal space, making it a perfect choice for a large space with high ceilings.
(4) The Mama Cloud 75 Suspension Lamp was designed by Frank O. Gehry for Belux. Constructed from metal and fabric, this chandelier provides an eye-catching design structure while offering a nebulous outline and organic presence. This fixture is the perfect choice to soften a room with harsh modern lines.Sure to be a conversation starter!
(5) The Cloud XL Suspension Lamp was designed by Frank O. Gehry for Belux. This cloud-like chandelier combines playfulness with modern geometric design to create a unique fabric and metal lighting fixture. The flexible construction of the piece allows the buyer to configure the chandelier in different ways for a true one-of-a-kind installation. Why should I consider the use of LED Lamps?
One final consideration on your purchase of an oversized chandelier is whether to select a light fixture that utilizes LED lamps or not.
LED light bulbs have been gaining in popularity over the last few years and offer a terrific alternative to traditional light bulbs. Normal incandescent light bulbs were designed primarily as a way to make heat, with the side benefit of producing light. As a result, over 90% of the energy utilized by a traditional light bulb is turned into heat that is subsequently lost. By comparison, LED light bulbs only lose 20% of their energy to heat, making them over 80% more efficient than traditional light bulbs. LED light bulbs also offer tremendous advantages on their durability. An incandescent light bulb lasts for between 800 and 1500 hours, but a LED light bulb can last for up to 60,000 hours! This makes them a great choice for light fixtures such as chandeliers that are often difficult to access once installed. Finally, LED lights are eco-friendly. Unlike traditional bulbs, which contain mercury, LED light bulbs contain no toxic materials and are 100% recyclable. The energy efficient, long-lasting, environmentally-friendly LED bulb is an obvious choice for your new oversized chandelier!