10 Best Home Improvement Ideas
A home is an investment, something to be tended to just like a stock investment or a retirement account. You don’t just let it fall to pieces, and let it lose value over the years. You put money back into it, by maintaining it and upgrading it so it can gain in value. Here are the 10 best home improvement ideas for your investment.
Remodel your bathroom
- First on our list is bathroom remodeling. Though it might not seem like much, when someone goes to look at evaluating the value of a house, the bathroom is one of the first things they look at. The bathroom is functionally one of the most important things in a house next to the kitchen, it is necessary to look at this as a means for upgrading. Typically bathroom remodels can get messy, and a little expensive, but the return on investment can be worth it.
Replace your floors
- Next up is the replacement of floors. Nowadays people want hardwood. They want the latest and greatest. The kind that is easy to install, and even easier to maintain. A lot of the time you can find the right kind of hardwood floors at a local home hardware store.
Replace your roof
- Another thing you should look at is replacing the roof. Though it may not seem like a glamorous thing to do, a new roof on a house is one of the biggest improvements that adds value and years of life and protection to your home. When it comes to roofing, we have a few different options we can explore ranging from shingles, to ceramic tiles to metal.
- Another thing a lot of people don’t think about when remodeling a house is landscaping. Though it can be a chore to do, and you might need a little extra help to move around dirt, rocks, and things like that, it can really be worth the extra work because it will add that updated look your house had always needed. First impressions are important when it comes to showcasing your home. The exterior is always the first thing a prospective home buyer looks at.
A fresh coat of paint
- Of the 10 best home improvement tips, one of the simplest things to look at doing is painting. Either inside or outside, a fresh coat of paint can do wonders for how new your house will look. It’s important to do the proper colors. If the wrong colors are ever chosen, a paint job can actually turn out to be a detriment to your home and not an improvement. Also, certain communities have restrictions on paint schemes, it is best to consult with your deed restrictions first.
Upgrade your windows
- Windows are what control the airflow in your house. With them closed, windows should be able to keep the air in your house at the temperatures you want them at. But with old or faulty windows, keeping your house cold or warm can be a big problem and cost you a lot of money. So replacing windows should be on your list of 10 best home improvement tips. Energy Efficient windows cost more in the begging, but in time, the savings will add up, not to mention your home will be alot quieter!
Use your unused, extra space
- Finishing a basement or attic is also a great idea. This adds extra space without adding a costly addition to your home. It could be a big project and will probably require a contractor, but like I said before, it’s all about adding value. A home with a finished basement or attic is more attractive to a buyer who is ready to move into a beautiful place.
Clean up the kitchen
- The kitchen is the heart of the home. One of the biggest improvements to any home is in the kitchen. New appliances, new cabintes and countertops can give your kitchen a fresh, modern look.
Upgrade your lighting
- As far as the 10 best home improvement ideas are concerned, the least expensive is good lighting. Updating lighting to more modern energy efficient lights can not only save you a little bit of cash, but can also help light your house in such a way that it brings a modern feel to it.
Upgrade your appliances
- Having new appliances installed will also give your home a fresh look and usually come with more options or conveniences. Replacing your AC unit, fridge, stove, dish washer and laundry appliances can can save you hundreds of dollars a year on energy costs.
We hope you enjoyed our 10 best home improvement ideas. Do you have any ideas of your own? Let us know!